Re: USB memory stick and flashcard mount failure

On Friday 12 January 2007 12:01 pm, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Herb Howe(herbhowe@gmail.com) is reported to have said:
> > I'm having problems mounting either a memory stick or a flashcard using
> > Debian, kernel 2.6.8.
> >
> > Here's the setup:
> >
> > Line from lsusb with usb memory stick inserted:
> > Bus 004 Device 002: ID 08ec:0008 M-Systems Flash Disk Pioneers
> >
> > Line in fstab:
> > /dev/sda1 /mnt/memstick vfat user,noauto,rw 0 0
> >
> > Mount command:
> > mount /mnt/memstick
>
> Try mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt
>
> Never had a problem with any of the >12 flash drives I've tried.
>
> HTH=Hope This Helps, YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary, HAND=Have A Nice Day
>
> WT
>
> --
> A printer consists of three main parts: the case, the jammed paper
> tray and the blinking red light.
FWIW: My usb stick did not mount as sda* because I was mounting it in a card
reader of several slots. My hardware management system decided that each slot
was "sde*" so check you syslog output & look at the output of dmesg.

What about SD chips from cameras. I have been struggling with one of those for
a month or so, off & on. I was getting the same message as Herb's stick, from
the SD chip. It also works fine in XP, so I am assuming there is no problem
with the card. BTW: it also shows a FAT system. I am using an I-DOT card
reader & my usb sticks work fine so I think its in my configs. Any ideas will
be appreciated.
Thanks!
--
John W. Foster