Re: USB memory stick and flashcard mount failure

On Friday, 12. January 2007 16:47, Herb Howe wrote:
> I'm having problems mounting either a memory stick or a flashcard using
> Debian, kernel 2.6.8.
> There are lots of questions on the web about this problem but few simple
> answers. If there is a known workable solution online, could someone
> supply the URL?
>
> Thanks,
> Herb
I had exactly the same problem. I copied the files on the Windows box,
inserted the stick into the Debian box and zeroed the whole stick (/dev/sda)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
Then I created a single primary partition with cfdisk on the usb stick
cfdisk /dev/sda
formatted it
mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1
and copied the files back.
At the moment the stick works fine under both Debian and Windows XP.

--
-=[JT]=-