Re: Root privilege (SOLVED)

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:15:51 -0500
cga2000 <cga2000@optonline.net> wrote:

> I'll have to install synaptic and take a look.  I understand it
> prompts you for the root password as relevant, right?

Actually I have no idea. I use only aptitude in command-line and
sometimes interactive. AFAICT aptitude (interactive) uses su to
achieve that.

[snip]
> yes .. but what I'm really not too comfortable with is mostly the
> non-granularity of privileges ..  I'll have to play with groups a bit
> and see if this might provide better solutions.  Also do some googling
> and look for those who went down that road before me .. see if they
> came up with useful conclusions.

IMHO the granularity is necessary only in a multi-user environment with
different levels of admins. For a single user it's not so relevant.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)