Re: smooth upgrades

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 12:21:16PM -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 January 2007 15:35, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >
> > Okay, I would say at this point you should probably go ahead and
> > dist-upgrade yourself to get caught up. I don't know how long its been
> > since you upgraded, but since you're mostly to etch already, its
> > likely any breakage you currently have has already been fixed. With
> > etch in freeze now and under 100 release-critical bugs left, I think
> > you'll be in good shape.
> >

> i have my apt-get parameter files set up properly, i think, but when i do an
> apt-cache policy i don't like what i get, as follows:

[snipped good locking apt.conf and sources.list

> 	debian:/etc/apt# apt-cache policy
> 	Package files:
> 	 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>    	  release a=now
> 	Pinned packages:
> 	W: Couldn't stat source package list \http://ftp.us.debian.org etch/main
> Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages) -
> stat (2 No such file or directory)
> 	W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ftp.us.debian.org etch/contrib
> Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) -
> stat (2 No such file or directory)
> 	W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ftp.us.debian.org etch/non-free
> Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_non-free_binary-i386_Packages) -
> stat (2 No such file or directory)
> 	debian:/etc/apt#
>

> is it safe to proceed?

I get this same behavior if I move my /var/lib/apt/lists out of the
way... IOW, you need to update

apt-get|aptitude update

should clean up the problem. you've changed your repositories without
updating so apt is looking for package lists that you haven't
downloaded yet.