Re: smooth upgrades

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 15:35, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 03:28:55PM -0800, tom arnall wrote:

> > > sounds like you're somewhere between sarge and etch. Etch is running
> > > 2.3.6.ds1-8 and sid is up to 2.3.6.ds1-10. But sarge is at 2.3.2 so
> > > you're definitely mostly etch.
> > >
> > > when did you last upgrade?
> > >
> > > I've lost track ofthis thread. what were we discussing?
> >
> > thanks for getting back to me. the thread started by my asking if there
> > was a way to upgrade without breaking my system. i had recently upgraded
> > and messed up gaim and a few other things. the profile edit for
> > gnome-terminal is still not right. from my original discussion there grew
> > a general discussion of relating to the repositories.
>
> Okay, I would say at this point you should probably go ahead and
> dist-upgrade yourself to get caught up. I don't know how long its been
> since you upgraded, but since you're mostly to etch already, its
> likely any breakage you currently have has already been fixed. With
> etch in freeze now and under 100 release-critical bugs left, I think
> you'll be in good shape.
>
> ymmv

i have my apt-get parameter files set up properly, i think, but when i do an
apt-cache policy i don't like what i get, as follows:

	debian:/etc/apt# cat sources.list

	## Testing - Debian (currently Etch)
	deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
	deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

	debian:/etc/apt# cat apt.conf
	APT::Default-Release "etch";
	APT::Cache-Limit 18000000;

	debian:/etc/apt# apt-cache policy
	Package files:
	 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
   	  release a=now
	Pinned packages:
	W: Couldn't stat source package list \http://ftp.us.debian.org etch/main
Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages) -
stat (2 No such file or directory)
	W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ftp.us.debian.org etch/contrib
Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) -
stat (2 No such file or directory)
	W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ftp.us.debian.org etch/non-free
Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_non-free_binary-i386_Packages) -
stat (2 No such file or directory)
	debian:/etc/apt#

is it safe to proceed?

tom