Re: Root privilege (SOLVED)

Please don't quote in backwards order; this is a high traffic list and it
makes things harder to follow if we have to jump through hoops to get
context.
http://wiki.ursine.ca/Best_Online_Quoting_Practices

Vladimir Kozlov wrote:

> Paul Johnson wrote:
>> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>>
>>> Of course, some things simply cannot be done without a GUI.  Or at least
>>> they cannot be done efficiently.
>>
>> Like?
>
> E.g. when I tried to use KVpnc to import the OpenVPN config file
> donwloaded from my vpn server (IPCop), I've got the "Wrong password"
> message. Not so informative, isn't it?  After a long digging I've found
> that there is a problem with file permissions - when I login as root, the
> import goes without any problem, and then I am able to connect as regular
> user.

I still fail to see why someone would need to log in as root to do this.
Why not log in as a normal user, type sudo -s or su - and run just the
commands you need run as root there instead of loading a whole
not-necessarily-well-audited GUI as root?

> I do understand there should be better way to do this, but logging as
> root just for import the config file is much easier as any other methods.

I'm not really sure that's faster or easier at all.  Much less secure and
much easier to shoot yourself in the foot is about the only obvious
difference.