Re: light-weight rescue live CD?

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 11:28:38PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 11:13:38PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> >
> > Of course this won't work with my new box: SATA drives, LVM on raid1,
> > etc.  Knoppix is a huge iso and I'm on dial-up in the country (2K/s) and
> > will take 72 hrs via ftp.
> >
> There are some small (~100 MB) rescue CD distros out there.  However,
> you might want to consider one of the many services out there which will
> send you CDs for a nominal fee.  I've seen them for as little as $5 for
> a set of Debian CDs (all of the binary CDs at least).  A single Knoppix
> CD might be even cheaper.

I'm looking for debian-based since I know how it works e.g. setting up
networking, raid and lvm stuff, etc.  It'll only take 9 nights to get
Knoppix so I'll do that and perhaps later make a USB-based rescue set up
like I had for woody-floppy (with 4GB instead of 1.44 MB to play with).

I haven't done a detailed search of aptitude yet but for all I know
there's a package that makes live CDs from an installed system.

Thanks,

Doug.