Re: About apt-get messages

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 03:43:00PM -0800, rangalo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie at using apt-get. Although, I have used debian before, I
> was using apt-get only with cds, as I didnt have internet.
>
> I copied the sources.ist posted in this list from internet somewhere, i
> changed all the mirrors fro us to de (germany) and it worked well for
> me, except the debian-multimedia.org. For this I got error with apt-get
> update command, saying some public key was not found or mathed. So I
> had to comment the mirror out. I dont know what this msg means, but I
> do need some multimedia stuff on my machine. Any other mirror for that
> ?

some of the stuff that is on debian-multimedia is now available from
the debian repositories -- most notable mplayer. Also, you need to get
Marilat's gpg key. There are instructions on his website
http://www.debian-multimedia.org/faq.html

> Moreover, while installing some common packages like firefox, gaim etc
> I got message that the package was not varified ! Is it dangerous to
> install unverified package ? If i change the mirrors, will this msg go
> away ?

you need the debian-archive-keyring package. the debian packages are
signed with gpg keys stored in that package.