Re: Adding a new HDD - how do I move /var/lib/mysql ?

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 02:46:29PM -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> probably the simplest way is to just make a new /var on the new drive
> and move all of it there.
> -add new HD to computer
> -partition HD
> -format HD
> -mount new HD as /mnt/newvar
> -stop all processes (like single user mode)
> -copy all of /var to /mnt/newvar
> -move /var to /oldvar (not sure this works)
> -create /var
> -edit fstab to add mount point to make new partition point to /var
> -reboot and hope it works

A couple of points:

- This will be lots easier and less painful if you do it all in pass
  from a LiveCD (though Knoppix is my favorite, I'd recommend the
  Ubuntu LiveCD since it suppors LVM--see next point)
- Save yourself some trouble and setup LVM and then create a single
  volume group and put your logical volume on that.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez