Re: [OFF-TOPIC] Mailing List Netiquette

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 23:37:30 -0800
"Justin Gallardo" <gallardj@onid.orst.edu> wrote:

> Hey All,
> I am preparing a presentation to a group of students on mailing list
> netiquette(as you may have guessed by the subject), and thought that
> maybe I could use the busiest mailing list I followed as a good
> source of information. I have thought of numerous things to bring up
> in the presentation including rules about top-posting(not doing it),
> tips to help keep the flow of conversation, and other various things.
> There was one thing that I wasn't quite sure what everyone's opinion
> was though. When replying to an email, is it proper to leave the
> original poster in the To: line of the email, and the CC the list? Or
> is it better to just send your reply to the list, not specifically
> mentioning the original poster. Possibly it is acceptable to just do
> whatever Reply All in your client gives you(I would think the effect
> of this is configurable through the mailing list). I was curious if I
> could get other's input on this matter. Also, if you can think of any
> other good points to bring up during this talk, I would love to hear
> them. The purpose of the talk is to help create better open source
> community members for the future. So any help now could possibly save
> you some heartache later :-).
>
> Thanks a bunch.

I think the answer is definitely DO NOT CC: :) If you look through the
archives you will notice a few signatures like: "Do not CC, I read the
list." This basically says it all: most of us are subscribed to the
list. We get every mail sent to the list. Why would I need a CC? If I
need one then I can ask for one using the Reply-To: field, or even
directly. Which brings us (again) to the Reply-To question. Please
read: http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

You might also find useful: http://learn.to/quote and "Guidelines
to post on debian-user" by Kamaraju S Kusumanchi (Raju):
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/du-guidelines.html

HTH,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)