From: Andrew Sackville-West [mailto:andrew@farwestbilliards.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 3:51 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Launch App without X-Windows

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 02:26:07PM -0500, Stephen Yorke wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> So it seems like I would ALWAYS need an X-Server but I can do without
a Window Manager.

no you don't ALWAYS need an X-server. However, to run X applications,
you do. You are correct in that you do not need a window manager. You
can run an X application all on its own within X. for example, you could
(assuming you have X configured), create a .xinitrc file in your home
directory with the following contents:

firefox

then type startx at the command prompt and you'll get an X session with
just the one application running in it, probably full screen. How well
this might behave is debateable.

you can also do away with all the *dm's and just run a windowmanager
directly with an .xinitrc that looks like this

fvwm

or whatever window manager you want.