From: Kevin Mark [mailto:kevin.mark@verizon.net]
Sent: Wed 1/10/2007 2:23 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Launch App without X-Windows

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 01:55:21PM -0500, Stephen Yorke wrote:
> Hello all and thanks in advance to any replies I get to this message.
>
> I have a couple of things...
>
> What I want to do is be able to launch applications without actually
> other application and without actually having a desktop environment
> have the applications still launch for me.
>
> 1. What necessary pieces would I absolutely have to have in place?
> (Window Manager, Video stuff, Mouse, Keyboard, ETC) 2. Any recommended
> links to read about what I actually want to do?
>
> Thanks a lot, Stephen
Hi Stephen,
here is some info:
firefox requires X windows. X windows has certain requirements.
video card->kernel modules->kernel-> X windows modules-> x server+>firefox
                                                   window manager+
                                                      x libraries+
There are many types of applications:
console
curses-based
frame-buffer based

x based
- -athena-based
- -qt based
- -gtk based
- -other toolkits
- -x frame buffer based

The only way I know of running an X windows app with out using a regular
X server is by using the x virtual frame buffer server.

$ apt-cache show xvfb
Package: xvfb
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 3800
Maintainer: Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: xorg-server
Version: 2:1.1.1-14
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6), libfontenc1, libxau6, libxdmcp6, libxfont1, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1)
Recommends: xbase-clients
Filename: pool/main/x/xorg-server/xvfb_1.1.1-14_i386.deb
Size: 1536234
MD5sum: 4f008f696f8aa23aef59090898a2a63b
SHA1: 539a380d0dc0f16ba81c7eeb371e307524645d0e
SHA256: 8590b30e11df3684e49bd70b5946215eeab71d64881974507b15279c933559cf
 Xvfb provides an X server that can run on machines with no display hardware
 and no physical input devices.  It emulates a dumb framebuffer using virtual
 memory.  The primary use of this server was intended to be server testing,
 but other novel uses for it have been found, including testing clients
 against unusual depths and screen configurations, doing batch processing with
 Xvfb as a background rendering engine, load testing, as an aid to porting the
 X server to a new platform, and providing an unobtrusive way to run
 applications that don't really need an X server but insist on having one
 anyway.
 .
 This package also contains a convenience script called xvfb-run which
 simplifies the automated execution of X clients in a virtual server
 environment.  This convenience script requires the use of the xauth
 program.
 .
 More information about X.Org can be found at:
 <URL:http://xorg.freedesktop.org <http://xorg.freedesktop.org/> >
 .
 This module can be found as the module 'xserver/xorg' at
 :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/xorg
Tag: interface::framebuffer, network::server, role::program, x11::xserver
cheers,
Kev
- --
| : :' :      The  Universal     |   'under construction'   |
|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org     |