Launch App without X-Windows

Hello all and thanks in advance to any replies I get to this message.

I have a couple of things...

What I want to do is be able to launch applications without actually loading X.  What I mean is, I want to load RDesktop or Firefox or some other application and without actually having a desktop environment have the applications still launch for me.

1. What necessary pieces would I absolutely have to have in place?  (Window Manager, Video stuff, Mouse, Keyboard, ETC)
2. Any recommended links to read about what I actually want to do?

Thanks a lot,
Stephen