Re: Does XFS work with LVM?

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 12:25:37PM +0100, rafiks wrote:

> [quote]I had a WD Cavier that died. I think the bearing overheated and the
> speed wasn't constant as it squeeled. After I powered-off and it
> cooled, the JFS was able to sort itself out and I saved the data.[/quote]
>
> Is it that bad with this drives? They seem to be so cheap in ebay that I
> just bought one. I hope it doesn't happen to mine..

Personally, I've never bought a WD new just inherited them when people
give me their unstable computers.  They have all failed somewhat at some
time although I don't know how they were treated before I got them.

For new drives I only by Seagate.

I have a Maxtor 512 MB that came in my IBM 486 in 1994 that only
recently started getting errors.  Then again, I have an IBM 171 MB that
came in a 386, dated 1987, that is still fine.  I have a full debian
Sarge setup on it I use on old boxes like one would use a bootable CDROM
or USB stick on a new one: as a rescue drive.

I now never have just one drive; I raid1 the system stuff just in case.

So my advice: if you're buying drives off eBay because they're cheap,
buy more and raid them.  If they have S.M.A.R.T. then install
smartmontools to keep track of them, and watch syslog for drive errors.

YMMV.

Doug.