Re: small form factor recommendations

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 08:55:33PM +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:

> Of course what I meant to say there was 'no HDD, fans or other moving
> parts'...

The iBox that I have is the same way, except that I opted for two small
case fans since I wanted a hard drive in there.

> If you don't need a hard drive or heavy processing power, then
> the minimal sumo would probably be ideal - with GX processor,
> 128Mb Ram and 64MB flash and Linux pre-installed is only
> GBP 179.00 here.

Is the geode i486, i586 or i686 compatible?  I have the Via C3 [0],
which is technically i586, but doesn't implement a couple of the Pentium
instructions, and so I must run a -386 kernel variant and I don't
believe I can run a JVM on it (at least from sun).

Regards,

-Roberto

[0] Like so:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 7
model name      : VIA Samuel 2
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 599.904
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips        : 1196.03

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto