Re: small form factor recommendations

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 04:23:57PM +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 03:44:34PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > > I have an iBox Slim I got from iDot (http://www.idotpc.com) which is
> > > very nice, small and quiet.  However, if I had it to do over, I'd get
> > > the iBox Crystal, which has space for two hard drives (the slim has
> > > space for only one), space for a regular optical drive (the slim
> > > requires a notebook style optical drive) and does not require a stand
> > > for vertical placement (since the crystal is rather square in profile).
> >
> > yeah, that looks nice. Do you have the flash drive option? and if so,
> > can you boot off the thing?
>
> I have been using the A4F machines which are also mini-ITX based
> computers:
> 	http://www.mappit.de/a4fsite_englisch/
> Plus points were that they were available in a solid state configuration
> (no flash, fans or other moving parts) and could be bought without Windows
> pre-installed.
>
> However for a really small formfactor and low price, I have recently
> been experimenting with the sumo thin client:
> 	http://wmltd.co.uk/index.php/products/nomachine_thin_client
> which has a AMD Geode GX533 or LX800 Processor. I am using the 1GB
> flash version with 100GB USB disk, but can be fitted with internal
> HDD. It has 4 USB ports and comes with Linux (Foundry) pre-installed
> as an embedded system for thin client use (xterm etc).  I did a Debian
> install on the USB drive without a problem.
>
> If you really want very small formfactor, silent operation and low power,
> they seem very good. But probably not ideal for demanding applications
> like video compression.

A couple more good options, thanks. I've been doing some load testing
using motion and a simple, cheap usb webcam. It seems pretty
minimal. I can barely see the cpu monitor on my panel flicker when it
fires up. I haven't checked it with tops yet, but it seems
promising. I think I can probably run 4-5 of these off one little
mini-itx box with ease. I probably won't even bother with the hard
rive and just use nfs shares on another machine to store the video.

for those interested, I found a nice little bit of mini=itx stuff at
www.damnsmalllinux.org/store

the prices aren't the best, but it does support a debian based
project...