Re: How to cool my cpu temperature?

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 10:26:42PM -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com>  said:
> > I can claim firsthand experience with exactly that.  Box overheated.
> > Fried capacitors.  Required new motherboard and CPU.  Fortunately I
> > was able to get a similar MB, only slight upgrade, so I was able to
> > use my old memory and  didn't have to replace that, too.  If the
> > problem is the power supply (mine was) it is much cheaper to replace
> > the PS now than the MB in a few weeks.  Other fans and heatsinks are
> > still less expensive than a new CPU (and, possibly, MB).
>
> I had much the same experience but my loss was total.  That brings up
> the question of how to tell if the PS is going out.  My motherboard had
> fan, temp and voltage sensors that I /finally/ got working but the PS
> didn't seem to be represented in those.  Are there physical hints
> pre-death (enough pre-death for box salvage) for a power supply?

I'm just starting to play with online temp monitoring.  My workstation
is powered off every night.  I'll immediatly reboot and go into the bios
and check the temp, voltages, fan RPM etc.  I'm assuming that online
monitoring will do this and issue warnings.  I'll be setting this up in
the next week or so.

The other issue is that these monitors can only measure the voltage
going to the MB.  My power supply (Power Master iGreen 600 W) has three
12 vdc rails.  I'd have to use something external to the MB to watch the
voltage going to all three.  Presumably having different voltages going
out to the drives could cause some problems.

I wonder if anyone makes a system monitor to check non-MB components,
perhaps interfacing via USB?

Doug.