Re: subprocess pre-removal script returned error

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 22:48:27 +0000, T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How to remove those packages that have pre-removal script errors?
>
> This is what I tried:
>
>   $ aptitude --purge-unused purge open-iscsi
>   The following packages will be REMOVED:
>     open-iscsi{p}
>   Removing open-iscsi ...
>   Stopping iSCSI initiator service: succeeded.
>   Removing iSCSI enterprise target modules: FATAL: Module scsi_transport_iscsi not found.
>   failed.
>   invoke-rc.d: initscript open-iscsi, action "stop" failed.
>   dpkg: error processing open-iscsi (--purge):
>    subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
>   Starting iSCSI initiator service: FATAL: Module scsi_transport_iscsi not found.
>   succeeded.
>   Errors were encountered while processing:
>    open-iscsi
>   E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

You can find the pre-removal script here:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/open-iscsi.prerm

I would comment out all commands or simply insert

exit

as the second line of this script. This should allow you to complete the
removal. Afterwards it is maybe advisable to reboot just to make sure
that your system is in a clean state again.

Then it should be possible to install the newest version of open-iscsi
(2.0.730-1) which has a fix for this bug:

Regards,
          Florian