Re: Etch becoming slower than Sarge?

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 06:45:44PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 03:09:29PM +0100, Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> > >
> > I really understand you, I started with Commodore 128, and first started
>
> bah! I spit on your shiny new commodore. *my* commodore was a vic-20
> with 3.5k ram. Now that taught you how to control resources. buncha
> new-fangled whipper-snappers.
>
> seriously though, we used to max out that little machine. like this
> little trick. a '?' was shorthand for 'print' *and* it used less
> memory. but when you 'list'ed the line that contained it, the
> interpreter would expand the '?' into a 'print'. If you were really
> packing the code in, that would make you line longer than the 80 char
> max so you'dhave to go back in and convert all your 'print's back to
> '?'s.

My first Z-80 was the Timex-Sinclair 1000 with 16 Kb ram and integrated
basic.

My second was a computer I made up of parts (TTL chips) and an 80 Amp 8V
DC power supply.  8 Z-80s at 8 MHz with an interleaved 8-phase clock at
64 MB and 64 KB shared memory.  'console' was a hex keypad and hex LED
displays.  Programming was via machine code.  Couldn't afford mass
storage so I left it on.  Now those were the days.  I built it when I
was a teenager after reading "2001 A Space Odessey" for the first time
and wanted to learn how orbital mechanics worked:  I needed a better
calculator.  It would do 128-bit integer math.

I never needed to calculate a transfer obit to jupiter in real life but
I leared a lot about math and electronics.

Doug.