Re: Etch becoming slower than Sarge?

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 03:09:29PM +0100, Marko Randjelovic wrote:

> I really understand you, I started with Commodore 128, and first started

bah! I spit on your shiny new commodore. *my* commodore was a vic-20
with 3.5k ram. Now that taught you how to control resources. buncha
new-fangled whipper-snappers.

seriously though, we used to max out that little machine. like this
little trick. a '?' was shorthand for 'print' *and* it used less
memory. but when you 'list'ed the line that contained it, the
interpreter would expand the '?' into a 'print'. If you were really
packing the code in, that would make you line longer than the 80 char
max so you'dhave to go back in and convert all your 'print's back to
'?'s.

yeah. those were the days...