Re: mkinitramfs-kpkg failed to create initrd image.

> > If I exclude [loadable module support] then mkinitramfs-kpkg fails,
> > and if I include it then mkinitramfs-kpkg succeeds.
>
> If you don't need loadable modules, then ... you don't need an init*
> because all the stuff you need is already in the kernel.

That does seem to  make sense.  However, when I try to boot from my module-
free kernel I get what looks like the same kernel panic I get when I try
to boot a module-enabled kernel without loading an initrd.  So, I
thought I needed an initrd in all cases.

I managed to fake out mkintramfs-kpkg by creating an empty
/lib/modules/<version> directory.  That allowed the kernel to install,
but on boot I get a message like "module RAID1 not found" (remember I'm
booting off an md RAID1 device).  I verified that I'm statically
compiling in this support, but something is still broken somewhere.

I'll keep trying stuff, and hopefully post back a clean solution.