mkinitramfs-kpkg failed to create initrd image.

Under etch I'm trying to use "dpkg -i" to install a .deb I built using
make-kpkg.  I'm passing "--initrd" to make-kpkg, since I'm booting
off a software RAID device.  I've done this before on this same
machine without a problem, but this one is giving me:

Using mkinitramfs-kpkg to build the ramdisk.
mkinitramfs-kpkg failed to create initrd image.
Failed to create initrd image.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.18-xpc2-4-jan-2007 (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 9

I'm trying to build a stripped-down kernel, without loadable module
support, so maybe I left something important out during
"make menuconfig."  The kernel seemed to compile fine, though.

How can I tell why mkinitramfs-kpkg failed to create initrd image?