Re: Announce: zerotools (tools to keep virtual machine disks cleaner)

#include <hallo.h>
* Mike Hommey [Wed, Jan 03 2007, 01:38:23PM]:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 01:13:27PM +0100, Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Please add a technical overview to your introduction. As a techie, I
> > would like to read what is so special about zerotools what I cannot do
> > with:
> > rm crapfiles && cat /dev/zero > bigfile && sync && rm bigfile && sync.
>
> or just shred crapfiles

Not really. You need to add funny parameters like "-vzn0" to shred to
shred them with zero and then you still need to unlink them manually.
And IMO it is less intuitive than my command chain for this particular
purpose.

Eduard.

--
OpenBSD fails miserably in this respect, and makes for an example of how NOT
to work with the community on security issues.  Their approach is, roughly,