Re: bad anti-aliasing; what thinks my CRT is an LCD display

[ I accidentally sent this message when it was only half finished; here
  is the full text. Sorry for the noise. ]

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 22:53:17 -0500, Daniel B. wrote:
> Where is the configuration or auto-detection of whether a video display
> device is a CRT or an LCD?
>
> I've been getting strange color fringes around text when anti-aliasing
> is turned on.  It seems that something thinks my display device is an
> LCD panel, when actually it's a CRT.

Check the file .fonts.conf in your home directory. This is the stanza
to turn off RGB antialiasing:

 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
   <const>none</const>
  </edit>
 </match>

You also have to check if this setting has actually been taken over into
the X server resource database (restarting X or a new log in with
[xkg]dm is necessary after you change .fonts.conf):

$ xrdb -query | grep Xft
Xft.antialias:  1
Xft.hinting:    1
Xft.hintstyle:  hintfull
Xft.rgba:       none

If you use KDE or if you have the font problem with Qt applications
then you also should check this setting:

$ grep Xft ~/.qt/qtrc
enableXft=true
useXft=true

Finally, if all else fails you can try different options for fontconfig
by running (as root)

dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config

--
Regards,