Initiating services when logging on

Greetings one & all

With Slackware, using XFce4, I used to know how to do this, but with Etch, using Gnome, I am coming up short: how do I get the xscreensaver (and other services) to initiate when I logon? Each time I logon, and go to use the xscreensaver I am given a message that says the server isn't running and asks whether I want to start it. Well, yes. But, I would like to figure out how to start it automatically.
I've looked through different dot files but can't see anything obvious.

Any suggestions?

Thanks