Re: Initiating services when logging on

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 09:14:45 +0000
andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Greetings one & all
>
> With Slackware, using XFce4, I used to know how to do this, but with
> Etch, using Gnome, I am coming up short: how do I get the
> xscreensaver (and other services) to initiate when I logon? Each time
> I logon, and go to use the xscreensaver I am given a message that
> says the server isn't running and asks whether I want to start it.
> Well, yes. But, I would like to figure out how to start it
> automatically. I've looked through different dot files but can't see
> anything obvious.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

There are a few ways to do this with GNOME:

1. Start the screensaver, then start gnome-session-properties and save
your current session.
2. Start the screensaver, then save your session when logging out.
3. Put a .desktop file in /etc/xdg/autostart (for all users) or
~/.config/autostart (per user). Or use a link to an existing .desktop
file instead.

--

Liam