Re: Seeking CPU Recomendations

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 17:40 -0500, Marty wrote:
> Hans du Plooy wrote:
> > Why would the CPU speed limit the amount of memory you can use?  If the
> > motherboard can handle 3GB, the CPU will handle 3GB.
> >
> > Hans
> >
> I meant in terms of performance, not capacity.  I don't recall the specifics,
> but the combination of available bus and CPU speeds may not be optimal for that
> CPU.  In any case the bus speed is limited to 333Mhz (400Mhz overclocked), IIRC.

Oh.  Still, on the AthlonXP the memory bus is determined by the chipset.
You could run them on anything from PC133 (as I had on a Gigabyte
GA-7ZXE) to Dual channel DDR400, depending on what board with what
chipset you buy.  It's only from the Athlon64 line onwards where the
memory speed is determined by the CPU, because the memory controller is
built into the CPU.

Hans