Re: Seeking CPU Recomendations

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 11:05:57AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Thomas H. George wrote:
> >Until now my Athlon XP 1800+ has been adequate for everything I do.  Now
> >I want to capture digital video from my video camera and burn it on CD's
> >or DVD's.
> >
> >I tried reading the debian-user archives by subject but they are so
> >extensive it is slow going.  Perhaps there is a better way to search them?
> >
> >My object is not to be absolutely cutting edge but rather to make a
> >sound upgrade for a Debian Etch system.
> >
> >Tom
> >

> Better CPU but for what motherboard?
> You are referring to hardware?
>
> Hugo

My current motherboard is an Albatron KX400-8XV.  Of course I would
replace it as well if need be.

For the record, the rest of the system is
	Memory:		256 M
	Harddrive:	70 G
	Video Card:	Radeon 9200 SE
	DVD:		Sony DVD RW DRU-510A
	Sound:		Creative Labs SB Live!
> 	Wacom Tablet with Mouse
	Generic Keyboard

I might look for a bargin package deal - bare bones or complete desktop
- but there's more space than I need on the hard drive, the DVD and the
  sound card are fine, and I love the Wacom Tablet.  Memory is cheap
  these days. Perhaps an upscale video card might be worth
  considering but perhaps not.  After all my objective is just to
  capture the digital video stream and burn it to a CD or DVD.

Tom