Re: aptitude --mind-your-own-business option?

Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl>:

[very entertaining discussion snipped]

>  the "automatically remove unused packages" option. When in doubt, run
>  "aptitude install -sf", check what it wants to do and smack it over the
>  head with "keep-all" if you do not like what you see.

(0) heretic /home/keeling_ aptitude install -sf
[snip]
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
  xmms
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  afio bogofilter gkrellmms gkrellweather irssi-text kernel-package
  libcanlock2 libgsl0 most ntp ntp-server ntp-simple rxvt slrn zsh
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 16 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 24.5MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
Abort.

Some of those are my favourite programs.

[BTW, I haven't done any keep-all's or anything here.  I'm just trying
to learn from the discussion.]

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html