Re: Maze of Twisty Turny Little Package Managers

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 06:38:45AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 11/30/06 10:50, Ralph Katz wrote:
> > On 11/29/2006 08:50 PM, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> [snip]
> > On 11/17/2006 01:30 PM, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> >> Meanwhile, Debian installs "synaptic" by default.  Use synaptic
> >> instead of aptitude.
> >>
> >> RLH
> >
> > Au contraire...  The docs are quite explicit about this: use *aptitude*.
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
> > 4.4 Upgrading packages
> >
> > The recommended way to upgrade from previous Debian GNU/Linux releases
> > is to use the package management tool aptitude. This program makes safer
> > decisions about package installations than running apt-get directly.
> >
> > 4.4.2 Upgrading aptitude
> >
> > Upgrade tests have shown that etch's version of aptitude is better at
> > solving the complex dependencies during an upgrade than either apt-get
> > or sarge's aptitude. It should therefore be upgraded first [...]
>
> Aptitude is very aggressive and usually wrong about removing other
> "unneeded" apps when you remove one app.  Maybe this only happens
> when you start out using apt-get, but is nonetheless very
> aggravating and disconcerting.  Thus, I stick with apt-get.

I understand your feeling.  I have been hit several times before with
this. That is very true if you are using woody and sarge version.

That is why I recommend to do partial upgrade aptitude alone first which
will pull some key libraries such as libc.

This is:
 "apt-get install aptitude"
or
 "aptitude install aptitude"

New etch aptitude has resolver in visual mode.
Give it a try when you find time.

Osamu