Re: Maze of Twisty Turny Little Package Managers

On 02 Dec 2006, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Aptitude is very aggressive and usually wrong about removing other
> "unneeded" apps when you remove one app.  Maybe this only happens
> when you start out using apt-get, but is nonetheless very
> aggravating and disconcerting.  Thus, I stick with apt-get.

Better still, install wajig. From the manual:

       wajig packages into one tool many commands useful for managing a
       Debian system. Instead of having to remember whether to use dpkg
       or apt-get or apt-cache, etc, wajig does the selection of the
       appropriate tool for you.

It really does.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian