Re: what's the killer app for GNU/Linux systems?

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 08:46:37AM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 09:39:35PM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > >And has *kept* them working on it, without turning it into a huge
> > >ball of legacy crud, without forking or general worker revolution.
> > >However he does it, he *has* done it, and that is his genius.
> >
> > Some might argue these days with the "ball of legacy crud" part.  :-)
> >
> Yet, others argue vehemently that Linux does not have enough legacy
> support, owing particularly to Linus' unwillingness to let code for
> extremely old hardware stick around.

So if one finds a neat piece of old gear, say a 386 (which debian now
doesn't support) or even 286 (which linux never supported) what
monitarily-free (since I don't hack existing code, just write new) OS
options are there other than DOS?

For example, on eBay there's a very ruggedized text-only (amber!) 286
laptop apparently still solid and as reliable as ever.  But what could I
run on it other than DOS?  I would like to have vim, mc, minicom, ppp, ssh,
and lpr, in addition to the coreutils and a programming language like
python or fortran.

Doug.