Re: evolution+spamassassin don't detect spam (Etch)

michael wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 04:55 -0800, JP wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have recently started to use evolution as my mail client. However, I
> > can't figure out how to make it work with spamassassin to detect the
> > tons of junk mail I get every day. I have come across several posts to
> > ubuntu/debian/gentoo... mailing lists describing different settings to
> > make it work but none of them has worked for me so far. I have
> > installed spamassassin and enbled it in /etc/defaults/spamassassin,
> > checked the spamassassin plugin and spam detection options within
> > evolution, and created a junkmail testing filter. The status bar says
> > that it is learning to detect spam, but it actually doesn't work.
> >
> > Ch
>
> which version of Evolution (etc)?
> you don't need to set up any testing filter with recent versions of
> Evolution IIRC. have you set up all the relevant options in the
> preferences for the relevant accounts? do you have spamd/spamc running?
> have you trained spamassassin?
Versions are:
evolution 2.6.3-2
spamassassin 3.1.7-1
The following options are set:
Edit->Plugins->Spam detection with spamassassin
Edit->Preferences->Mail options->Spam->Detect if incoming mail is spam
& Include remote tests
I've checked that spamd is up and spamc installed:
debian_etch$ ps -ef | grep spam
root      3859     1  0 Nov29 ?        00:00:03 /usr/sbin/spamd
--create-prefs --max-children 5 --helper-home-dir
jp   9872  3859  0 Nov30 ?        00:01:01 spamd child
jp   9903  3859  0 Nov30 ?        00:00:25 spamd child
jp   3449  4465  0 18:44 pts/3    00:00:00 grep spam
debian_etch$ which spamc
/usr/bin/spamc

I've selected hundreds of junk messages and manually flagged them as
spam. I've also selected some ham messages and flagged as spam and
afterwards as not spam.

I also thought that the spam folder would get full of junk soon after
flagging some junks messsages but nothing happened. Then I started
setting/unsetting any option I could think off.

Cheers,
JP