Re: what's the killer app for GNU/Linux systems?

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [2006 Dec 01 12:08 -0600]:

> On 12/01/06 10:55, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> [snip]
> > 2. Satisfying your ISP who only install on a M$ OS.
>
> ????

Actually, trying to blow through 1st level support whose script only
mentions an MS OS.  I just went through that hell this morning as with
the cold temperature, my wireless DSL slowed to about about 100 bps.
After an hour on the phone 2nd level support finally told me that my
modem was no longer supported by the ISP and needed to be replaced.

I keep a spare drive around here just for that purpose and if I had
changed everything as they'd instructed, the machine would have been
hosed which would have made proving the link was at fault much more
difficult.  Perhaps that is the plan.  :(

Now that the temp is around 35, it's working better, but not what it
should be.  But, I don't know how you blow through contracted support
unless you play the game.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of