Re: A Question About Aptitude

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 05:51:05AM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> As a result of discussions on this thread, I just ran aptitude.
>
> Aptitude tells me that there is a broken package, and suggested that,
> because of dependency problems, I remove exim4, exim4-base,
> exim4-daemon-light, ftp, netbase, nfs-common, ntp, ntp-simple, ntp-date,
> openbsd-inetd, pidentd, telnet and I install nbstmp.

There is a problem to running aptitude in my experience. Any time you
try to uninstall packages installed by aptitude on the basis of a
Recommends, aptitude may then attempt to uninstall _all_ packages based
on Recommends. [May because it doesn't happen 100% of the time].

It may be that I'm just a dyed-in-the-wool dselect user but this
apparent feature has been enough to put me off aptitude altogether.

IMHO, YMMV, etc. etc.

Andy