Re: A Question About Aptitude

I am running a fresh install (two weeks ago) of Etch, and I have been using synaptic to install and update packages.

As a result of discussions on this thread, I just ran aptitude.

Aptitude tells me that there is a broken package, and suggested that, because of dependency problems, I remove exim4, exim4-base, exim4-daemon-light, ftp, netbase, nfs-common, ntp, ntp-simple, ntp-date, openbsd-inetd, pidentd, telnet and I install nbstmp.

What is going on here? It appears to me that it is aptitude which needs to be uninstalled. I suspect that the operation proposed by aptitude would render my installation unusable and likely irreparable. My inclination is to trust synaptic.

RLH