Re: A Question About Aptitude

Miles Bader wrote:
"Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net> writes:
Aptitude was an advance over apt-get, but now there is synaptic.
For most users, synaptic provides a better interface and better control
for package management in Debian.

That seems like a pretty dubious assertion.  Synaptic's interface is
"pretty", but seems quite clunky compared to aptitude's.  As far as I
know, it's also missing one of aptitude's most useful (even/especially
for beginners) features, automatic handling of packages dragged in by
dependencies.

Aptitude's interface clearly has its issues too, but I'd say unless your
user has a terminal fear of non-mousey-GUI interfaces, aptitude is the
better interface overall.
I think you need to take a closer look at synaptic; or perhaps you have formed your opinion strictly on the basis of hearsay.
Synaptic is aware of dependencies.  And synaptic is quite intuitive.

I began running Debian at the time Potato was released, so I personally have used all the package managers. I recommend synaptic, without reservation, for both tyro and guru.
RLH