howto properly stop dhclient, after interface is down?

I temporary ran my wifi card and brought it down:

dhclient eth2
ifconfig eth2 down

- all from the command line.
Now, I realize that dhclient is still running

jw@johannes2:~$ ps aux |grep dh[c]
root 11352 0.0 0.1 2672 524 ? Ss 18:17 0:00 dhclient eth2

What is worse is that it apparently blocks my /etc/resolv.conf to be properly overwritten with the nameservers for my new wired connection.

I can't find a hint in the manpages of how to stop dhclient, short of killing it.

What am I missing?

How can I force resolvconv to rewrite my /etc/resolv.conf and use the settings from /etc/network/interfaces?

Running etch.

Thanks,
Johannes