Re: Removing redundant kernels

michael wrote:
On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 17:24:23 +0000, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote

Following updates I find I have several redundant kernels and
corresponding entries in GRUB. Is there a preferred method of
removing these, once I have established stability with later
versions, or is my first thought of 'rm'ing the relevant files and
editing menu.lst good enough?

I have a similar problem:

I have an etch box with custom compiled kernels from kernel-package.
I've installed a bunch with dpkg -i and used apt to remove them.
But dpkg still shows them in the the list of packages.
For example:

host:~# dpkg --get-selections |grep linux-image
linux-image-2.6.16-2-k7                         purge
linux-image-2.6.17                              purge
linux-image-2.6.17-2-486                        purge
linux-image-2.6.17-2-686                        install
linux-image-2.6.17-2-k7                         purge
linux-image-2.6.17etalon-k7                     purge

Is there a way to remove the packages marked "purge"?

Thanks
Mike

I had a similar problem.  I was using synaptic and could not "purge" or "remove complete" a similar set of kernels.  I also had this problem back with the 2.6.14 kernel.

I followed the advice given in the posting below and was able to purge these kernels.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2006/01/msg00143.html

I had to change to /var and do a find -name "*2.6.16*" to find the directory containing the postrm script mentioned in the above link but once I found it and commented out the offending line I could remove the kernels.

R.Parr, RHCE, Temporal Arts