Re: A Question About Aptitude

On (03/11/06 10:14), cothrige wrote:
<snip>
> In doing this, and reading various documentation, I found references
> to 'U' marking packages upgradeable.  I also saw the listing for
> "Upgradable Packages" and so I started nosing around in there,
> thinking that perhaps I would use 'U' to select this entire list.  To
> get some points of comparison I had tested out 'aptitude upgrade' and
> 'aptitude dist-upgrade' just to see what would be changed, and only
> gdm-themes appeared there with one removal.  In the 'Upgradable
> Packages' section of aptitude there are many packages listed,
> including emacs, gdm, cron, exim4, many libraries and so on.  Now I am
> confused.  Why are there so many packages being listed as "upgradable"
> and yet don't get upgraded when running 'aptitude upgrade'?  What
> exactly is the difference between these two lists of packages
> available upgrading?

When you 'aptitude upgrade' aptitude will upgrade those packages for
which all the dependencies are resolved and won't break anything.  When
you use aptitude interactively and press 'U', you will see every package
that can be upgraded to a higher version.  However, it will also alert
you to any 'broken' packages due to dependency problems and gives
suggestions as to how to resolve them.

As a matter of course, you should install apt-listbugs so that you will
be warned of any bugs that could cause you a problem.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...