Re: flavours of LaTeX

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 21:07:52 +0000, michael wrote:

[ snip: some initial misunderstandings ]

> I want to be able to use .eps files. But when I run "latex" (which is a
> symlink for pdflatex) it kaputs since it wants a .pdf/.png file.
>
> Thus my question is "is there a way I can have the 'old' "latex" (which
> called eTeX (I believe)) which did handle .eps files"?
>
> I know I can convert .eps to .pdf but I have 2 systems that I wish to
> exchange (the *same*) files between but yet still run though latex. One
> system (my main one at work) is Sarge and that seems to have latex->eTeX
> whereas the (home) system is unstable and seems to have latex->pdflatex.
>
> I just wondered how to reconfigure so that "latex" pointed to the same
> place (ie did the same thing!) on both machines (and on the home system
> etex->pdflatex too!). My ideal (call me old!) would be for both to run
> eTeX with .eps graphics files

OK, now I understand the problem. I am afraid, though, that it is not
possible to solve it in the way you want. tetex makes a major version
jump (2.0 -> 3.0) between Sarge and Sid. It will not help you to divert
latex to etex on the Sid system because etex, latex and pdflatex on Sid
are all just symlinks to pdfetex anyway. (That might be different if you
use texlive on Sid, but then you should not be surprised that the two
latex distributions differ in their behavior. Sarge only has tetex.)

That being said, I know for a fact that the Sid version of tetex can
import EPS files just like the older version on Sarge. Something like
this should work with both tetex 2.0 and 3.0:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{document}
\includegraphics{/usr/share/doc/gs-gpl/examples/ridt91.eps}
\end{document}

If I save this as "epstest.tex" I can run

$ latex epstest.tex && dvips epstest.dvi && gv epstest.ps

and ghostview shows me a PS file with the embedded EPS image. I am on
Sid with tetex 3.0.dfsg.3-1 and I made no changes to the default tetex
configuration.

Maybe you use some quirky syntax which only works on the older tetex
version. Looking further into that is in my opinion more likely to lead
to a solution for your problem.

--
Regards,
          Florian