Re: flavours of LaTeX

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 19:54 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 18:15:59 +0000, michael wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > It was more that even running 'latex' the graphicsx won't accept eps
> > files (whereas the older 'latex' (linked to etex on that box) does).
> > Ta,M
>
> Do you specify the name of the eps file with or without the extension
> ".eps"? Newer versions of graphicx append the extension themselves
> because they can switch between importing an eps and importing a pdf;
> this depends on whether latex or pdflatex was called. The log file will
> tell you what names were tried when looking for the graphics file(s).
>
> (I am not sure if I have now understood you question correctly.)

Florian et al

I want to be able to use .eps files. But when I run "latex" (which is a
symlink for pdflatex) it kaputs since it wants a .pdf/.png file.

Thus my question is "is there a way I can have the 'old' "latex" (which
called eTeX (I believe)) which did handle .eps files"?

I know I can convert .eps to .pdf but I have 2 systems that I wish to
exchange (the *same*) files between but yet still run though latex. One
system (my main one at work) is Sarge and that seems to have latex->eTeX
whereas the (home) system is unstable and seems to have latex->pdflatex.

I just wondered how to reconfigure so that "latex" pointed to the same
place (ie did the same thing!) on both machines (and on the home system
etex->pdflatex too!). My ideal (call me old!) would be for both to run
eTeX with .eps graphics files

Thanks, Michael