Re: Email programs that work.

Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 07:23:59PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>>     You don't.  There's a command that can kinda show you but you have to tap
>> it constantly for it to update.  There is no auto-updating new mail list.

> Mutt can't directly show you new mail in an IMAP store.  True enough.  It
> has no trouble at all, however, with identifying new mail in a local
> mbox/maildir/what_have_you store.

    Sorry, no, wrong.  Hit the command to get that list.  Leave it open for,
say, the weekend while you're at home.  Come back.  And know how many new
messages you'll see?  0.  The list doesn't auto-update; well, not the last
time I checked.  Compared that to GUI and when new mail comes in you know
which folder has it.  No user interaction required.  Email in low priority
folders can wait.  High priority email folders get your attention right away.

> Whenever *I* go back to my folder list, new is clearly marked.

    Just wait, it won't.

> Thunderbird, just for comparison, is the one that doesn't seem to be able
> to figure out if there's new mail, whether IMAP or local, unless you either
> enter the folder or tell it to check.

    Oddly enough I open up Thunderbird which connects to my IMAP store and it
knows how much new mail is in each folder without me going into them.  The one
and only exception is I run a script out of cron against my spam/ham folder to
train SA.  But then I don't tell Thunderbird to periodically check those
folders and frankly I don't care if they have new mail or not since *I* put
all the mail there manually for the expressed purpose of having them run
through sa-learn!