Re: Email programs that work.

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 07:23:59PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     You don't.  There's a command that can kinda show you but you have to tap
> it constantly for it to update.  There is no auto-updating new mail list.

Mutt can't directly show you new mail in an IMAP store.  True enough.  It
has no trouble at all, however, with identifying new mail in a local
mbox/maildir/what_have_you store.

Whenever *I* go back to my folder list, new is clearly marked.

Thunderbird, just for comparison, is the one that doesn't seem to be able
to figure out if there's new mail, whether IMAP or local, unless you either
enter the folder or tell it to check.

Here's the one thing that *I* have to have... decent printing support.  The
disaster that thunderbird or evolution calls "printing" is worthless.

Of course, evolution has the problem that it's a Gnome application, and
Gnome developers think printer controls, even simple ones like margins,
confuse people.  Or maybe there's a statement in some Gnome HIG somewhere
that users shouldn't be printing mail, so they make it crap to dissuade
people.  I don't know.

I'm not sure what thunderbird's problem is anymore.  The excuse of
Mozilla's original printing system being so weak is getting very thin.

--
 Marc Wilson |     The sheep died in the wool.
 msw@cox.net |