Re: Naming multiple alsa sound cards (was Re: synthetic sound generator with api)

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 12:20:21PM +0200, CJ van den Berg wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 05:20:38PM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > For the alsa behaved apps (like libao) you set alsa_card=1 or 0 and
> > ao_example.c plays on either one soundcard or the other.
>
> Just a small tip. On machines with multiple sound devices the alsa card
> numbers may not be predictable because the device number depends on which
> card was detected first. On my machine it seems to be pretty random. Alsa
> allows you to refer to sound devices by *name* though too, which works much
> more predictably. So for example in libao you would use the driver option
> "dev=hw:NAME" instead of "dev=hw:NUMBER". The names of the devices on your
> machine are listed (in square brackets) in /proc/asound/cards.
>
> > Thanks guys!
>
> No problem!
>
> --
Hi CJ van den Berg,
one of the things that udev affects is device names. there have been
issues with various devices having seemingly random names because of udev
rules not being setup. The most notable has been eth naming but I would
expect sound devices to be affected by the same issue thus look into
udev configuration as a way to address this.
cheers,
Kev