udev, hal, pmount

Hello. I'm using the combination of hal, udev, and pmount on my laptop
so that removable devices (usb sticks, an audio player, a camera) will
be automatically detected and mounted when inserted.

All is working well, and I'm pleased with the improvement, but there
is one way in which I'd like things to work a bit better. At present
the devices are mounted in the /media directory, and the name used for
the mountpoint is the raw kernel device-name: /media/sda1 /media/sdb1
and so on.

That's fine, but I have written udev rules which create symlinks to
/dev/iaudio for the audio player, and to /dev/micro for the Sandisk
and so on, and it would be nice if those device-names could be used as
the mountpoints: /media/iaudio /media/micro and so on. It doesn't seem
like it should be so hard to pass that information to the pmount
command, but I haven't so far found a way to do it.

Does anyone know how to do this?

I know that Gnome and KDE both have graphical utilities for handling
this kind of thing, but I don't (want to) use either of those (I use
fluxbox as my window-manager).

Thanks very much for any hints or pointers,

Jim

PS This is Debian testing with a hand-compiled 2.6.17 kernel.