Re: Packaging PHP files

Le mercredi 02 août 2006 à 10:18 -0400, Kit Peters a écrit :
> At work, we would like to use apt to distribute WWW applications
> written in PHP to various other machines of ours.  What's the best way
> to package these applications into debs, as they aren't compiled?
> Should I write Makefiles where the only non-empty target is 'install'?

Hello,

What you put in your "upstream" Makefiles is not really relevant to the
packaging: debian's "rules" file (which is a Makefile) has no "install"
target. Well thought upstream Makefiles help for maintaining a package,
though. If you write Makefiles for this install task, make sure they
accept the DESTDIR variable, so that "make install
DESTDIR=debian/package" does its job. The install task can also be done
entirely within "packager-land", i.e. debian/rules.

There's no problem with packaging code that's not compiled. You will
have a binary-arch target which is empty and a binary-indep which is
not. The Architecture: field in the control file should be set to "all".

I would believe -mentors is a better place to boot you up with
packaging.

Regards, Thibaut.