Problems with "burn" program

This used to work. If I could only remember what I
changed that might be relevant I wouldn't need to
ask here... but I don't.

So. Since "recently" the (neat) program "burn"
behaves like this:

** begin console session excerpt **

$ grep -v '^#' ~/.burnrc
[general]
ask_root: yes

external_decoding: yes

[executables]
cdrecord: /usr/bin/cdrecord
cdrdao: /usr/bin/cdrdao
mkisofs: /usr/bin/mkisofs

mp3_decoder: /usr/bin/mpg321
mp3_decoder_option:  -q -w
ogg_decoder: /usr/bin/ogg123
ogg_decoder_option:  -q -d wav -f

[ISO]
tempdir:	/tmp/
image:		burn_image.iso
windows_read:	yes
mount_dir:	/mnt/

[CD-writer]
device:	0,0,0
speed:	13
driver: generic-mmc
burnfree: yes

[CD-reader]
device: 0,0,0
driver:

[Media]
size: 700
$ burn -D -p ~/tmp/*.jpg
Burn v. 0.4.3   Written and copyrights by Gaetano Paolone.
Burn until recorded, now!
This software comes with absolutely no warranty! Use at your own risk!
Burn is free software. See software updates at http://www.bigpaul.org/burn/

Data-CD...

Checking files, directories and disk usage. Please wait...

Error. Please insert a blank CD/DVD.

** end console session excerpt **

And this even when there *is* a blank CD in the
tray.

The whole output is displayed all in one go. My
recollection was that the program created an
image, etc, before prompting to insert a CD; but I
could very well misremember...

Another program (mondoarchive) is perfectly able to
use the CD/DVD burner. And as I said, this used
to work.

Thanks for any pointers,

--
JR