SOLVED: 2.6 upgrade left machine unbootable

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 14:41 +0100, michael wrote:
> I've been running the Debian 2.6.8-3-686-smp kernel image happily for a
> while. However today I did a update/upgrade which involved updating the
> image (attachment has details from apt-listchanges) and, as told during
> installation of these, I rebooted as soon as apt-get had completed.
> However I can no longer boot my machine. The error I get is:
>
> pivot_root: no such file or directory
> /sbin/init:432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
>
> I also note that during boot up the SATA disks now seem to be labelled hda
> (etc) - they used to be sda (etc). Despite changing that on the GRUB boot
> line I still cannot log in. I do (or did?!) have a nVidia module but I
> presume that is not the issue since the boot doesn't get far enough to
> load X etc.
>
> Can anybody advise on how to fix this? Thanks, Michael

Okay, my hands are up for being a bit thick. Solution to above:

a) need to realise that editting in GRUB menu requires 'b' for boot and
*NOT* ESC (which seems to return to main menu WITHOUT changes)

b) be able to read my notes (ie not replacing hde with sde but follow
previous
notes from when moved to 2.6 which say (almost) clearly that hde -> sda)

It's a shame that the Debian autoinstaller is not clever enough not to
overwrite pre-existing 2.6 entry for sda with hde (as per 2.4) in my
GRUB menu.1st