Re: CUPS dependencies

* John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> [2006 Aug 01 14:41 -0500]:
> RLH writes:
> > The problems we now are experiencing with CUPS appear to be a consequence
> > of the transition to Etch.
>
> I haven't noticed any change in the level of complaints about CUPS.  It
> seems to me that they have been pretty much constant since it was
> introduced.  It appears to be one of the top reasons for new users to give
> up on Linux.

I must be among the lucky or blessed (take your pick).  Since I
switched to CUPS and Gutenprint a couple of years back my printing
qulaity has never been higher (the combination blows away the quality
of Windows XP drivers for my old printers).  CUPS has been solid for me
and I haven't seemed to experience the problems of others even though I
track Sid.  I print to a network attached printer from my desktop and
to it and several locally attached printers on my laptop.

I'm not a CUPS fan-boy, but I don't miss lprng a bit.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"